Crawford County, Pennsylvania
History & Biography
Methodism in Western Pennsylvania1
HISTORY OF CHURCHES
(For pastors, see MINISTERIAL RECORDS)
BLACK ASH. Located in open country on Route 27 about half-way between Meadville and Titusville in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The Black Ash Church was built 1861-1863 and is still in use. The basement was excavated in 1950 and since that time the Church has been renovated. It was part of the
Chapmanville Charge until Chapmanville was closed in 1969 leaving Black Ash, Bradleytown, and Wallaceville on the Circuit. The 1868 membership was twenty-five.
BLOOMING VALLEY. Located in Blooming Valley Borough on Route 77. Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. First Methodist meetings took place as early as 1835 at Cowans School about one mile north of the village. Services were later conducted in the Advent Christian building. In 1874 the present
building was erected at a cost of $4,500. In early years Blooming Valley was on the Riceville circuit. For sometime prior to 1897 Blooming Valley was with Saegertown. Church records prior to 1910 were destroyed in a fire. In the years following 1910 Blooming Valley was a circuit with Lyons, Pine Grove and State Road. In 1961 Blooming Valley, Pine Grove, and State Road became part of the Saegertown charge. Since 1963 Blooming Valley and Saegertown have been a charge. The membership reported in 1968 was 191.
CAMBRIDGE SPRINGS: FIRST. Located at South Main and Lincoln Streets in the Borough of Cambridge Springs on Routes 6 and 19 in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The Society that was to evolve into the Cambridge Springs Church was organized in 1828. It met in a Schoolhouse until its first building was erected on Church Street in 1832. This building served the congregation until 1865 when the second Church was erected on Church Street. This building was sold to the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church after the present Church was built in 1900. The present Church was dedicated, free of debt, on July 15, 1900. The membership in 1968 was 339.
CENTERVILLE (Crawford County). Located in Centerville on Route 6, eight miles north of Titusville, Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. Centerville Circuit was organized in 1831. The present church organized in 1858. Church building erected in 1875, and dedicated on February 8, 1876. Centerville was a part of the Riceville Circuit until 1873. Elmer E. <page 739> Higleys first pastorate was the Centerville Charge (1891-92). Mr. Higley attained prominence in Methodism in the United States and also through his work with the American Indians. In 1902, The Centerville Charge was comprised of Centerville, Riceville and Britton Run. In 1923, it became a part of the Spartansburg Charge. Prior to 1930, an annex was built onto the rear of the church for classrooms. Centerville joined with the Hydetown Charge in 1947. An adjoining property was purchased in 1953 for use as a parish house. In 1960, the Miller Station Charge was formed with Centerville being the resident point of the pastor. The Centerville Charge with Riceville and Wilkins was formed in 1965. Former members who became ministers are Roy B. Decker and John Clark. Mr. and Mrs. Robert Harvey are serving as missionaries in New Guinea. The membership in 1968 was 42.
COCHRANTON: Located at 114 East Adams Street in Cochranton. Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. Organized in 1839 by Rev. William Patterson, Pastor of the Oil Creek Circuit, with twelve
families as members. It was later a part of the Cochranton Circuit and in 1855 became the head of the circuit. The
first church building, located on Pine Street, was built in 1843 at a cost of $900, and was remodeled in 1870. The
present brick church building located on East Adams Street was built in 1891 at a cost of $8,000 and was
remodeled in 1957. Church school rooms were added to the building and other remodeling was done in 1950. An
educational unit was added in 1962. The Church is presently the head of the two Church appointment with Mumford, Chapel. The 1968 membership was 380.
CONNEAUT LAKE: TRINITY. Located on North Third Street, Conneaut Lake, in Crawford County.
Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. Organized as a Class in the early 1800s and met in the loft of Voormans
wagon factory. In 1839 a lot was purchased and a white frame church was built. During these years ministers of the Salem, Dicksonburg, and Geneva Circuits served this Church. Conneaut Lake was then known as Evansburg. In 1842 a Circuit was formed of Conneaut Lake, Geneva, Hartstown, and Vernon. After some years the Vernon Church was abandoned and the Harts-town Church added to the Espyville Charge. The Shermansville Church became a part of this Circuit in 1886. In 1964 the Geneva Church became part of another Circuit. The present brick church was built in 1901, and the educational plant built in 1956. In 1960 two large lots next to the church were purchased. The 1968 membership was 343.
CONNEAUTVILLE: THE VALLEY CHURCH. The Valley Church is located in Conneautville at 1120 Water Street. Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The church grew out of a class organized by Reverend Joseph Davis in the spring of 1829. In 1834 the circuit was known as the Harmonsburgh Circuit. By the spring of 1837 plans were formulated for the building of the first house of worship and it was built that year. 1842 marked the division of the Harmonsburg Circuit into two charges of Conneautville and Evansburg. Then, in 1868, Conneautville became for the first time a station. The present brick structrue [sic] was constructed in 1877 and an educational plant was added in 1966. The summer of 1967 marked the merger of the First Methodist Church of
Conneautville with The United Presbyterian Church. A new congregation was formed and incorporated under the name of "The Valley Church"--United Methodist Affiliated. Membership in 1968 was 272.
DICKSONBURG. This Church is located on legislative route 20042, one mile west of State Route 18 and 4 miles south of Conneautville in the County of Crawford and in the Township of Summerhill. Methodist
Episcopal. Erie Conference. Organized as a Class on the original Erie Circuit in the home of James McDowell and known as the McDowell Class, in the spring of 1802. Later, in 1833, it was placed on the Summerhill Circuit of the Meadville District. This Circuit had 14 other Churches or Classes at that time. Summerhill was changed to Harmonburg and McDowell or Dicksonburg belonged there. In the year 1835 the first Church was built about a mile south of the present Church. It burned some time later. In 1851 the present Church was built at the cost of $975.00 on land from the McDowell farm Having its ups and downs it was closed for a few years and reopened again in 1962. The 1968 membership was 10.
EAST TROY. Located in Crawford County on a gravel road between Route 408 and Route 27. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The exact time of the organization of the class is not known, probably in 1850, by
Rev. Thomas Benn when it was made a preaching appointment on the Sunville Circuit. Meetings were held in the
Bromley Schoolhouse and later in the East Troy School. The present building was built in 1874 and the educational unit added in 1860. In 1877 the Church was transferred to the Hydetown Circuit from the Sunville Circuit. It continues on the Hydetown Charge in 1968. The membership in 1968 was 19.
ESPYVILLE. Located in the village of Espyville on Route 285. Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The church was organized with seven members at the house of Aaron Herriott in 1831. Early services were held in the school house and in the autumn of 1833 a house of worship was erected, which was superseded in 1870 by a new two-story, frame structure, which was destroyed by fire in 1894, and replaced by present
structure. This church was the seat of the Espyville Circuit formed in 1851, with nine churches. Then in later years the circuit was reduced to four churches, then three, then two, Espeyville and Westford, and known as the Pymatuning Parish. An oil conversion was installed for heating and an Electric Organ was purchased in 1967. In 1967 the name of the Charge was changed to Lake Parish wit the addition of the Geneva Church. There has been much remodeling done to the parsonage, which is in Espeyville, including the insulating of the house and a new oil furnace. The membership in 1968 was 62.
FALLOWFIELD: Located two miles northeast of Atlantic on legislative route 20013 in East Fallowfield Township, Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. This congregation developed from a Class that was organized in the home of Adam Kean about a mile east of Atlantic sometime prior to 1842. The Class
was made an appointment on the Salem Circuit. Adam Kean and wife and John McEntire and wife were among the first members A small frame church, called Wesley Chapel, was built in 1844. The present Church was built in 1874 on a lot donated by R. Hanna. At that time the name was changed to Fallowfield. In 1948 a new foundation that provided a basement was built and the Church was moved onto it. <page 772> An educational annex was added in 1958, and the sanctuary was renovated in 1969. Fallowfield continued as a part of the Salem Charge until 1857. That year the Kennard-Fallowfield Charge was created, leaving historic Old Salem as a
Station. The Fallowfield membership in 1968 was 144.
GENEVA. Located south of Conneaut Lake on Route 285 in the Borough of Geneva. Formerly known as Suttons Corners. Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. A Methodist Class was organized
about 1820 and met in a schoolhouse about a mile east of Geneva. A log church was later built just east of the borough. Later replaced by a frame church in 1843. The present building in the borough was completed in 1858 at a cost of $1200. The interior was redone in 1952. Basement added in 1957. Early members were Thomas Abbott, Wyram Newton, and John Sutton. In its earliest history this Church was connected with Salem Circuit. Mercer County. Later it was a part of Dicksonburg, Evansburg, and for a few years was served by students from Allegheny College. From <page 779> 1851 to 1965 it was a part of the Conneaut Lake Circuit. In 1960 a water well was drilled. In 1961 a kitchen and restrooms were installed. In 1965 it became a new Charge consisting of Geneva and Bethany. In 1966 a new steeple was built and the bell tower was remodeled. In 1967 Geneva was put on the former Pymatuning Parish with Westford and Espyville Churches creating a new Charge called Lake Parish. In 1968 a Pipe Organ was purchased and installed. The Membership in 1968 was 54.
HAMLIN CHAPEL. Located three miles west of Saegertown, Crawford County, and one mile east of Littles Corners on route 198. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. In 1838, Samuel and Polly Cease donated a log
cabin for a church. A new church was built in 1847 under the leadership of Rev. David H. Jack, pastor of the Rockville Circuit. The land, on the north western corner of the Meadville-Mosiertown Road and route 198 was donated by Isaac and Desiah Noble to the trustees of the church. In 1925 a basement was put underneath it, including a central heating system. Services were discontinued from 1937 until 1943. at which time Rev. George Gardner was assigned as pastor. During the spring and summer of 1943 the interior was remodeled and the exterior was painted. In 1958 a new oil furnace installed, a new organ purchased in 1960, and a suspended basement ceiling was installed in 1968. Ministers serving the church have come from the Saegertown Charge, Woodcock and Venango Charge, and students from Allegheny College. In 1943 the church became a part of the Littles Corners Charge. The 1968 membership was 102.
HARMONSBURG. Located one block east of the main intersection of Harmonsburg village, on Route 18, in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. First class meeting held in the home of Joseph and
Jacob Gehr by a Mr. Swartz, who arrived in Harmonsburg in 1806. A frame building erected in the early 1840s was used until 1900. Under the leadership of Rev. K. T. JaQuay, and after much hard labor by pastor and members, the present brick building was dedicated in 1900. Harmonsburg was known for many years as Brightstown. The Harmonsburg Circuit was organized in 1834. Originally it was a large four-week Circuit with two preachers. Later it included Harmonsburg, Dicksonburg, Smith and Littles Corners. This circuit continued until 1909. In 1911 Harmonsburg became part of the Linesvil]e Circuit. In 1960, an education unit was added, under the leadership of Rev. Edward Donner. The building was consecrated that year with Bishop Middleton presiding. The membership in 1968 was 212.
HYDETOWN. Located on Main Street or what is known as old Route 8 in the borough of Hydetown, Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The first class was organized in 1847 by Rev. John Abbott as part of Oil Creek Circuit. First class consisted of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Spaulding, Mr. and Mrs. Oran Davenport, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Titus, and Mrs. Baugher. Meetings were held in schoolhouse. A deed states property was
purchased from Isaac Baker and Samuel Fulmer for $35. Deed recorded in 1871. Present church built between
1871 and 1874. Organized as a charge by Rev. John Peat, Presiding Elder, in 1874, with Bethel, Hydetown, and
Tryonville, as part of the Titusville Circuit. In 1877 East Troy was added from the Sunville Circuit. White Oak
was added in 1893. The membership in 1968 was 73.
LINESVILLE. Located on West Erie Street in Linesville Borough, Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal, Erie Conference. Organized as part of the Conneautville Circuit (date unknown, but about 1845). Later became
Shenango Circuit; still later became part of Pymatuning Parish, then known as Espyville. Became Linesville Circuit in 1861 with Freys Chapel and Shermansville. In 1909 Freys Chapel closed; Shermansville placed on the Conneaut Lake charge. Harmonsburg was added in 1911. The congregation met in a school house for many years. A white frame church building was completed in 1861. Present brick building completed in 1900. Educational unit added under leadership of Rev. Edward Donner; consecrated with Bishop Middleton officiating in 1961. Education unit dedicated in 1968 with Rev. James Cousins, Superintendent officiating. Memorial gifts since 1963 have graced the church with the addition of handbells, carillon, new pews, carpeting and lighting. The membership in 1968 was 297.
LITTLES CORNERS. Located in the village of Littles Corners on routes 98 and 198 in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The church was organized in 1852 by Rev. J. K. Hallock from an early Methodist Class meeting. A church was built in 1853 at a cost of <page 807> $1700.00. The church was originally on the Conneautville Charge, about 1880 on the Harmonsburg Charge, about 1888 on the Dicksonburg Charge, in 1907 with the Saegertown Charge, in 1940 with the Eureka Charge supplied by student pastors from Allegheny College. In 1896 the church was remodeled; a brick foundation, a vestibule tower with bell, and other renovations made. In 1948 new floor joists and hard wood floor installed. In 1957 a basement was put underneath
the church, toilet facilities, water system, central heating system, installed pews, and a gravel parking lot at the rear of the church. Since that time land was purchased on the west side of the church for additional parking space. In 1968 a new oil furnace was installed. In 1968 it was on a two point Charge with Hamlin Chapel. The 1968 membership was 62.
MEADVILLE: BETHANY. Located on Wadsworth Avenue in the city of Meadville. Crawford County.
Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. This Church was built in 1878, originally called Valonia Chapel, then Fifth Ward Chapel. It was an Episcopal Church. In 1895 it was sold to Stone Methodist Church in Meadville for $350.00. From 1895-1929 it was used primarily for Sunday School. The Church was partially destroyed by fire on July 4, 1929. Rev. Charles Lunn was first pastor assigned to it as a Methodist congregation. In 1937, the Church was purchased from Stone Church and it underwent substantial rebuilding. In 1948 Bethany was joined to the Little Corners Charge, later to the Stone Church, then to Grace Methodist, then <page 817> back again to Stone
Methodist. In 1964 it went with the Geneva Methodist Charge. In 1967 it became a part of a three point Charge with Venango and Woodcock under the name of the Triangle Charge. The membership in 1968 was 35.
MEADVILLE: FIRST ("OLD STONE"). Located at Chestnut and Main Streets in Meadville. Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. Organized in 1825 by Rev. Robert C. Hatton, pastor of the French Creek Circuit, at a meeting in a loft over John Luphers blacksmith shop. Services were held in this building until
a brick church was erected in 1834. The congregation met in the brick church until 1868. Allegheny College in Meadville came under Methodist auspices in 1833. The Erie Conference was formed in 1836 from part of the Pittsburgh Conference, the first session being held in the Court House in Meadville. Calvin Kingsley, later Bishop, was one of the preachers on this charge in 1842. The Stone Church was built in 1868 with a seating capacity equal to one-tenth of the population of the city. An educational unit named Thoburn Chapel, in honor of Bishop James M. Thoburn, pioneer missionary to India, was erected in 1924. In 1927 a disasterous fire gutted the sanctuary, doing minor damage to the educational facilities. The church was rebuilt using the original stone walls and rededicated in 1928. The heavy debt was finally liquidated in 1943. A major remodeling of the educational facilities was completed in 1962. The 1968 membership was 1554.
MEADVILLE: GRACE. Located at 828 North Main Street, between Diamond Park and Allegheny College, in the city of Meadville in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. This Church had its origin as the State Street Methodist Episcopal Church in 1869. The congregation grew from a group of people meeting in homes in the area of Mohican Place and State Street, the location of the first church building. For the first several
years the pulpit was filled by students from Allegheny College. In 1914 plans were made for the purchase of "Burdock Park" on the corner of North Main and North Streets as a site for a new church building. The corner stone for the new building was laid in 1915 and it was dedicated January 28, 1917. In 1953, the charter was amended, changing the name to Grace Methodist Church. In 1959 ground was broken for an addition to be used as an educational facility. This Education Annex was finished and consecrated July 9, 1961. The membership in 1968 was 706.
MILLERS STATION. Located on a legislative route in Rockdale Township, Crawford County, three miles east of Cambridge Springs. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The Church was built in. 1880 by George Miller, a prominent resident of the village. He was a Free-will Baptist, and the first pastor of the Church. The undenominational Church began to be ministered to by Reverend Ira D. Darling, pastor of the Cambridge Springs Methodist Church, in 1885, and the congregation voted to become a Methodist Church. A Community Hall was built in 1912, and was remodeled in 1940. The Church was served by the pastors from Cambridge Springs until 1958. Since that time it has been a single appointment. The membership in 1968 was fifty-seven.
MOUNT HOPE (Crawford County) Located on Route 27 three miles southeast of Guys Mills in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. As early as 1812 the Daniels home was a Methodist preaching place. These services continued regularly until 1825 when the Society was greatly increased by a revival and built a frame Church called "Guys" about one-half mile south of Guys Mills. John Smith, David Jones, David Hanks,
Thomas Wilder, Reuben Smith and William Waid were leading members. The present Church was built in 1858 on a lot donated by Levi Oakes. The Church was remodeled in 1886 with the belfrey and steeple added. The basement was excavated in 1958, and a new parsonage was purchased at Mount Hope in 1964. This Church has always been on a Circuit being associated with the Pine Grove Church in 1968. The membership in 1968 was 104.
MUMFORD CHAPEL. Lccated on route 285 about five miles west of Cochranton in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. Grew out of the Methodist Class on the original Erie Circuit in 1801 at the
home of David Mumford. He was the class leader. A school house was built in 1816 at Calvins Corners and was used as a place of Methodist worship about 1830. The Town Hall was built in 1856 and was also used as a place of Methodist worship. The group became known as the Townhouse Society until the Mumford Chapel Methodist Church was organized in 1859 by Rev. John Abbott of the Cochranton Circuit. The Church building was erected in 1861 at a cost of $1,200. In 1950 church school rooms were added, the basement built, and the sanctuary remodeled. The Church has had numerous circuit relationships, presently being on a two Church appointment with Cochranton. The membership in 1968 was 100.
NEW RICHMOND. Located in the village of New Richmond on route 77, twelve miles east of Meadville, in Richmond Township, Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The land for the Church was
deeded to the trustees in 1863 by James and Martha Sayre, and the Church was built in 1864. The original trustees
were: Russell Flint, Israel Cannon, Oren Lyon, Abraham Ward and Silas Clark. The basement was added in 1945. New Richmond was originally on the Rockville Circuit with the pastor living at Woodcock. The New Richmond Charge was formed in 1893 consisting of New Richmond, North Richmond and Teepleville Churches. A new parsonage, located in New Richmond, was purchased in 1969. The membership in 1968 was thirty-six.
NORTH RICHMOND. Located in the village of North Richmond in Richmond Township, Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The present white frame Church was built in 1854 on land donated by
Patrick Perry. The trees in the Church yard were planted in memory of the founders, each family being represented by a tree. In 1964 the Sunday School rooms were built to the rear of the Church, and in 1968 the sanctuary was remodeled. Originally a part of the Rockville Circuit, it has been a part of the New Richmond Charge since 1893. The membership in 1968 was fifty-six.
PINE GROVE (Crawford County) Located on Wayland Road at the foot of Kaiser Hill out of Meadville in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The original Class was organized in 1825 by a group of English Methodists who had settled in the community. They worshipped in the homes of members and in a
Schoolhouse until the Church was erected in 1858. The Church was built in a heavy growth of pine trees, hence its name. In 1958 a basement was constructed under the Church <page 845> building. Originally, in 1858, Pine Grove was attached to the Meadville Circuit. Since that time it has been, at different times, a part of the Saegertown, Cochranton, and Townville Circuits. In 1965 it was linked with Mount Hope Church in a two-point Charge. Its membership in 1968 was 47.
RICEVILLE. Located on Route 77, twenty-one miles east of Meadville, Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. Organized in 1849 with four members. Meetings were held in the old red school house. Later in the Congregational Church. The Methodist Church was erected in 1874 at a cost of $4500. In 1872, it was a part of the Centerville Circuit. In the 1920's it was again the Riceville Charge with Wilkins and Mt. Pleasant Church at
Tillotson Corners. About 1928 the Congregational Church closed its doors and the members joined with the Methodist Church. In 1931, the church was remolded and the big bell from the Congregational Church was placed in the bell tower. In 1966 an annex was built on the church. Riceville was a part of the Miller Station Charge in 1959. In 1965, the Centerville Charge was formed with Centerville, Riceville and Wilkins. The membership in 1968 was 60.
SAEGERTOWN: SIMPSON MEMORIAL. Corner of Washington and Euclid in borough of Saegertown. Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. In 1829 early Methodists joined with Lutheran and
German Reformed persons to erect "Three Faiths Church." Prior to 1839 Matthew Simpson, later a Bishop, assisted in a protracted meeting that led to the organization of a Methodist society. In August 1839 the Erie Conference appointed John J. Steadman and James Plant as first pastors. Some early members had belonged to the Seavy class as early as 1826. In 1841 the first Methodist house of worship was erected. On May 4, 1847 the society became a legal corporation. The original charter was revised in 1963. A second building was erected in 1875 at a cost of $6,000. This building burned in 1918 after a lightning strike. A brick structure was erected immediately afterwards. A Building and Improvement program started in 1961 and led to a major building expansion in 1968-1969. Prior to 1898 Saegertown was linked with various congregations: Blooming Valley, State Road, Pine Grove, Hamlin Chapel, and Seavys appointment. From 1940 to 1956 Saegertown was a circuit with Woodcock and Venango. In 1961 a charge was formed with Blooming Valley, Pine Grove, and State Road. Since 1963 Saegertown and Blooming Valley have been together as a charge. Membership in 1968 was 285.
SHERMANSVILLE. Located on Route 6 four miles west of Conneaut Lake in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. Organized as a Class in the 1840's and services were held in a schoolhouse. In 1867 land was purchased and a white frame Church was built which is still used. The Shermansville Church until 1886
was a part of the Linesville Circuit. In 1886 it was made a part of the Conneaut Lake Circuit presently being on a two Church appointment with Conneaut Lake. The church building was renovated in 1968. The 1968 membership was 54.
SPARTANSBURG. Located in the borough of Spartansburg on Route 77 in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. Organized about 1827 by I. H. Tackett. Meetings were first held in the Golden
School House about one quarter mile west of the borough. A Presbyterian church was built and dedicated in 1849. This was later purchased by the Methodists. The present building was erected at the present site in 1877. The property given <page 880> by the Blakeslee family. Lumber was cut in surrounding forests and hauled to a local mill for finishing. About 1948 the building was raised and a basement was constructed under it. Many other improvements have been made since, including a new oak flooring, lowering of and installing a new ceiling, new pews, and in 1968 an electronic carillon was presented to the church in memory of one of the oldest members. The 1968 membership was 123. Always on a Circuit, in 1968 it is part of a three-point Charge with Elgin and McCray Churches with the parsonage at Spartansburg.
STATE LINE (Crawford County) Located on Stateline road along the Ohio-Pennsylvania line west of Jamestown in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. This class was organized in 1819 with fourteen members. Peter Royal, Henry Royal, William Roke, John Betts, and Mr. and Mrs. Edwards were among
the first members. Services were held in a barn on the McCormick farm, then in a School House for many years. The first Church, located on the corner of the present community cemetery, was built in 1851. This Church burned, but was rebuilt. Henry Bates donated the present church property and the present red brick Church was erected on it in 1891-1892. On different Circuits during the nineteenth century it has been part of a two-point Charge with Jamestown since 1903. The membership in 1968 was 79.
STATE ROAD. Located in the open country on Route 77 at Wayland Road northeast of Meadviile in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The Church was built on land given by Francis Waid in 1847. For many years it was served by student pastors from Allegheny College. The membership in 1968 was 38.
TEEPLEVILLE. Located in the village of Teepleville just off route 408 seven miles east of Cambridge Springs in Richmond Township, Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. Services were started in the community School House in 1877 and the present Church was built in 1882 at a cost of $1,800. It was known as the Van Scoder Church at first. The Church was renovated with carpeting and new lights in 1967. When
organized it was a part of the Rockville Circuit which included Woodcock, North Richmond, New Richmond, Teepleville, Jervis, and Penny's Corners. The New Richmond Charge was formed in 1893 and the parsonage for the Charge was built in 1894 beside the Teepleville Church. It burned in 1943 and a second parsonage was purchased at the corner of route 408 and the Teepleville Road. The third parsonage for the Charge is the new house purchased in January 1969 in New Richmond. The membership in 1968 was sixty-one.
TITUSVILLE: BETHEL. Located four and one-half miles north of Titusville on Route 89, in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. This Class was organized as early as 1825 and included the following original members: Andrew Alcorn, Obed Gardner and wife, Isaac Connell and wife, John and Martin Zeley,
Barnett Shelmadine and wife, Benjamin Shelmadine and wife, John Colton and wife, Charles Fink and his father.
the meetingplace was the Fink cabin at first, and then Coltons School House. The Church was built in 1856 under the pastorate of George M. Eberman and Jeptha Marsh on the Sunville Circuit. A Parish House, connecting with the Church, was built in 1939 and dedicated on December 31st of that year. The Church was remodeled in 1965, and an educational unit was added in the basement of the Parish House in 1967. It was on the Hydetown Charge until 1941 when it became a Station appointment. The membership in 1968 was 136.
TITUSVILLE: FIRST. Located on West Walnut Street in the borough of Titusville, Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. In the summer of 1799 Samuel Gregg and his family settled on Oil Creek, three miles south of Titusville. Mrs. Gregg had been converted under the preaching of John Wesley in Ireland.
These were the grandparents of Rev. Samuel Gregg, author of the first history of Erie Conference. A Methodist Class was organized in the Gregg home in 1804 by Andrew Hemphill on the original Erie Circuit. Between 1820 and 1850 the Class was reorganized several times. First effort to erect a House of Worship was in 1860. Thie [sic] temporary "Lincoln Wigwam" was a board structure, octagonal in shape, without a floor, seats of rough boards nailed to posts driven in the ground, with an old oil barrel for a pulpit, located on the corner of Perry and Pine Streets. Dissatisfied with this primitive structure, a new wooden church was built in 1864, and it became a Station appointment that year. This church had the first church bell in Titusville, and the bell is still used. A new stone church built in 1903 at the corner of Perry and Walnut Streets was destroyed by fire in 1952. It was rebuilt and enlarged in 1954. This Church served as host for the Annual Erie Conference sessions in 1876, 1904, and 1923.
Membership in 1968 was 609.
TOWNVILLE. Located on Main Street in the borough of Townville on Route 408 In Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. A Methodist Society was organized at Townville in 1845 with J. A. Pond,
Henry Hull, Gamaliel Phillips, Dr. William Mason, and Dr. Luther Pearce as original members. Meetings were held in the School House until 1849 when a frame Church was built on Main Street. It was known as "The Buckley Church". In 1877 the present Church was erected on the opposite side of the street. The sanctuary was remodeled in 1964. In 1968 it was part of a two-point Charge with Troy Center. The membership was 151 in 1968.
TROY CENTER. Located in the village of Troy Center on route 428 in Crawford County about ten miles west of Titusville. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The original Class was formed in the cabin of Henry Kinnear in the northen edge of Venango County in 1812. Later it moved its meetingplace to the Jonathan Benn cabin in
Troy Township where it met for more than twenty years. In 1850 the meetingplace of the Class was moved to the
Bromley School House under the leadership of Thomas Benn, pastor on the Sunville Circuit. The Troy Center Church grew out of this Class in 1870. In 1874 the present frame Church building was erected. A basement was added in 1959. It is on a two-point Charge with Townville. The membership in 1868 was 80.
VENANGO. Located in the village of Venango on U. S. Route 19 in Crawford County four miles south of Cambridge Springs. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. Organized in a Class of twelve persons in 1842 by
Ahab Keller, pastor of the Cambridge Circuit. Services were held at first in a Schoolhouse west of town; then in the Lutheran Church until 1848, in which year the first frame Church building was erected. In 1935 the congregation moved across the road into a building purchased from the Presbyterians. It had been a Lutheran Church built in 1879. It has been renovated into a beautiful sanctuary. This Church was on different Circuits and Charges across the years. The first resident minister was in 1956. In 1968 it was part of the three point Triangle Charge with Bethany in Meadville and Woodcock. The membership in 1968 was 118.
WESTFORD. Located south of Espyville in the Pymatuning reservoir area. Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference: This church was built in 1900 as a replacement of the Old North Bank Methodist
Episcopal Church, which was organized in 1824 with about nine members by Reverend Charles Thorn. The old church was a part of the Williamsport, Ohio, Circuit. Early meetings were held in private houses and in the schoolhouse until about 1845, when a place of worship was built. The Church later in 1851 became a part of the Espyville Circuit. The church continued until 1900 when its building was abandoned and was replaced by the Westford Church, which is about one mile away from the old church site. In 1966 a $40,000 Educational Unit, was completed as an addition to the Church. Espyville and Westford constituted the Pymatuning Parish until 1967 when Geneva was added to the Charge and the name was changed to Lake Parish. The membership in 1968 was 112.
WHITE OAK. Located in Crawford County on what is known as the Titusville, Spring Creek Road, Route 2, Titusville. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. The date of the organization of the Class is not known. They
met in the schoolhouse for several years. In 1889 a revival was held by Rev. Hiram McClintock of Meadville. Because of the many decisions, Mrs. Jane Whitford decided a church was needed. Silas Kerr sold a piece of ground for $50.00 and a church was built, mostly by donation labor. Silas Prather, presiding elder, dedicated it November 30, 1893. The church was moved back from the road in 1942 and placed on a basement. Extensive remodeling was completed in 195S. It is a part of the Hydetown Charge with Hydetown and East Troy Churches. The membership in 1968 was 22.
WILKINS. Located five miles southwest of Union City, Bloomfield Township, Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. Methodist Society organized in 1840. Meetings were first held in a log school house. In 1868, a frame church was erected at a cost of $1500. The lot was donated by Mark Wilkins and deeded to John
Chapin, Lewis Larkin and W. B. Taylor, Trustees. The Society was known as Chapins and was attached to the Mill Village Circuit. Wilkins United Brethren Society also used the church for services. In the summer of 1957 the church was moved back on the lot on to a new foundation. In 1959, the sanctuary was remodeled. Wilkins joined with Riceville and Centerville in 1965 and became a part of the Centerville Charge. On September 2, 1968 a Centennial Celebration was held. The membership in 1968 was 30.
WOODCOCK. Located in the village of Woodcock on Route 86 four miles south of Cambridge Springs in Crawford County. Methodist Episcopal. Erie Conference. Organized as a Class in 1806 in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ford by Rev. Robert R. Roberts the year he rode the Erie Circuit. <page 915> The first log Church was built in 1811; the second Church in 1817; and the present brick Church was erected in 1838. The present church lot was deeded to the Church by John Lang in 1837. A parsonage was built in 1879. Later it was made into a Church Hall, and in 1959 it was enlarged to the present Fellowship Hall. Always on a Circuit, in 1968 it was on a three point Charge with Bethany in Meadville and Venango. The membership in 1968 was 74.
1 Wallace Guy Smeltzer, Ed.,Methodism in Western Pennsylvania (Little Valley, N.Y., 1969).