Spartansburg is situated on the line of the Oil Creek & Allegheny River Railway, between Corry and Titusville. It contains two churches, two hotels, woolen mill, carriage factory, steam tannery, and twelve business houses in the different branches of mercantile pursuit. In 1837, Andrew and Aaron Akins built the first store building, now occupied by P. Blackmer at a boot and shoe store. At that time, a chair shop, and a few other small wooden structures constituted what was called Akinsville. It retained that name until the post office was established, when it was changed to Spartansburg. Since then, it has gradually increased, and new improvements show themselves daily. Its inhabitants number about five hundred.