The borough of Conneautville, the principal town in western Crawford, is situated on the Erie & Pittsburgh Railroad and Erie extension Canal, the former running about one and one-half miles west of the borough, and the latter passing directly through it. It is sixteen miles west of Meadville, and thirty-six south of Erie, and had a population, by the census of 1870, of one thousand. Lying in the midst of a rich agricultural country, thickly settled with well-to-do farmers, it is the principal shipping point for the butter, cheese, etc. manufactured in the western portion of the county, and the centre of the local trade for the same region. The lumber, staves, hoops, keg timber, etc., of the section is also mostly marketed from this point.
There are at present in operation in the town two iron founderies, three machine shops, four planing mills, one sash, door and blind factory, one flouring mill, one saw mill, one shook factory, one toy sled factory, two cabinet manufactories, one tannery, one woolen factory, one wool carding mill, one bent stuff, spoke and handle factory, etc. The flouring, saw and woolen mills are propelled by water, the others all use steam. In addition to these, there are three carriage manufactories, four blacksmith shops, two merchant tailor shops, three shoe shops, four harness shops, and the usual number of other industrial enterprises.
Conneautville has a first-class printing establishment, from which the COURIER, established in 1847, is issued weekly. A number of other newspaper enterprises have been started at different times, but the field is so well filled by the COURIER, that all efforts in opposition to it have proven failures. The First National Bank furnishes banking facilities for the place. A first-class public school building, completed a couple years since, is occupied by a large corps of experienced teachers, and the school is gaining an enviable reputation, a large number of pupils from abroad being regularly in attendance.
Three new churches were built during 1870: a Presbyterian of brick, and an Episcopal and Roman Catholic of wood. Eash is of the latest modern